Support Forum

2018 R1 - Confused ECU settings (changes from 2017 to 2018 .ftm files)

Doulos1992@gmail.comDoulos1992@gmail.com Posts: 5Verified User

Hello, this is my first time jumping into flashing and changing up the exhaust system.

My 2018 R1 is equipped with a 3/4 EVR Graves exhaust with the snog block off plates. I'm currently running the stock air filter but will soon be replacing it with a high flow DNA air filter.

I am running the Graves 2018 file I received from Graves, and I'm confused with some of the changeable ECU settings.

In the 2018 file, the ECU language is stated as:

But in the 2017 file (BX4-8591A-10-(US)Graves Exhaust Cat Eliminator 051717L.ftm), the language is stated differently:

The word disable was removed from the 2018 file - am I assume correctly that a value of False on the "disable top speed limiter" in the 2017 file would be equivalent to a value of Disabled for the 2018 "top speed limiter"?

Additionally, can someone explain to a new what the air intake valve is and the ramifications of either enabling or disabling and the other setting: "Inj Decal Cut" and the "Accel Retard Control"?

Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• Doulos1992@gmail.comDoulos1992@gmail.com Posts: 5Verified User

Also,

With the active tune running, the map I received runs a lot better, but I've noticed (across power mode one through four) the low RPMs are more responsive, but the mid to highs are less responsive than stock? I was really hoping it would clean up the low range but not without sacrifice the responsiveness of the mid to high RPM range.

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User
    edited February 2021

John,

If you are looking to have no Top Speed Limiter on your bike you need the option set as follow:

For "Disable Top Speed Limiter" se to TRUE

For "Top Speed Limiter" set to DISABLE

Here this post I found from Google may help your knowledge with the Air Intake Valve: https://www.r1-forum.com/threads/wheres-the-air-intake-valve.495738/

Disabling the Injector Decel Cut makes your on/off throttle response smoother by allowing the injectors to stay slightly open while off throttle. When you get on the throttle the injectors are already slightly open so they don't have to shoot as much fuel making the bike less twitchy under initial acceleration.

Disabling the Acceleration Retard Control gets rid of the ignition timing retard for the first 200ms of transition from off to on throttle in an attempt to soften the transition.

The ActiveTune can only adjust fuel and it should only make things better like it does for your low end response. It's possible that your mid to top end could be less responsive due to Ignition timing, Throttle by Wire, etc... but we can't look into those using the locked down Graves map unfortunately.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• Doulos1992@gmail.comDoulos1992@gmail.com Posts: 5Verified User

Thank you Jason - I appreciate the detailed response.

I think I'm going to look into a custom Dyno tune. I'm in San Bernardino county - is there anyone you would recommend?

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

John,

I forgot you mentioned you have the EVR pipe until re-reading your original post. Now the EVR pipe is awesome and it works great, but this complicates things.

The EVR will only work on the special Graves file. Now you can't access the ECU mapping of that file of course so you can't dyno tune with that file. What you'll need is either an EVR enabled file from with the ECU Mapping unlocked to be able to adjust. In this case they would probably put in Unrestricted values and then unlock the file for you. Or look into seeing if they have a different map they can give you. Or if they might be able to get your bike up on the dyno at their shop.

Talk to them and let me know what they have to say please. Be sure to mention you bought their pipe and the FT setup but you aren't happy with the mid to high range performance etc....

Thanks,

Jason A.