Support Forum

Ignition Map

XanoSu@gmail.comXanoSu@gmail.com Posts: 2Verified User

Hi.

I am new to tuning and would like to learn about fuel maps and Ignition timing. Although, plenty of people around me says not to touch the ignition map if I got no clue on what I am doing. So I would like to understand more and learn how the FTECU map works.

Currently I am running a 2014 Suzuki GSXR 600. Explored the FTECU, however, I am still confused about the ignition timing and fuel map.

According to the software, In the ignition mapping file, higher the number will be painted as red and the lower the number will be painted as blue. I have also read about TDC, top dead center. So I would like know does higher number means advancing ? Or does that mean it's retarding the spark plug?

And fuel map. Does the number work the same ?

Best Regards,

XanoS

Comments

• kento_ftecukento_ftecu Posts: 776Staff User

A higher value in the ignition table means you are advancing the ignition timing.

I would suggest doing a lot of research on how ignition timing and fuel mapping relates to an internal combustion engine (including asking lots of questions to a tuner that has experience with our software) before attempting any changes to the file yourself. It's a very complicated subject that could fill a book.

• XanoSu@gmail.comXanoSu@gmail.com Posts: 2Verified User

Hi Kento,

Thank you for the advise. I have researched on those internal combustion engine mapping, I was confused, since there is no indicator saying it's kPa or other sort of indicator in the FTECU software; This cleared my confusion.

I am currently still facing some decel popping, after using unrestricted map from FTECU and importing the PC5 map for my GSXR600 2013.

Most research shows that I should increase the amount of fuel going in in the decel column, just to clear up some unsure question.

Current bike setup: After market Bodies slip-on without deleting cat, and a DNA air filter, NGK platinum spark plug.

Also. I am experiencing engine rattling during 5000-6000 RPM with unrestricted map from FTECU. So I would like to seek professional on this issue, as from many of my research it did claim that a rattling engine would cause damage to the engine in long term, therefore, I would like to fix, further more rattling engine causes more vibration which make my daily commuting uncomfortable.

Could you please advise on this?

I would like to learn, but not all research are accurate so I would like to know if my research was right.

• kento_ftecukento_ftecu Posts: 776Staff User

There are a lot of factors that could lead to popping on closed throttle/deceleration. If you haven't deleted the catalytic converter, I would suggest using a stock file with your PCV map, because there are settings that are activated or disabled on the unrestricted map that may not be correct for your current bike setup.

The "engine rattling" is something that would be better diagnosed by a reputable tuner in your area, as that description is very general. If you think it is pinging/pre-ignition, that is something that should be accommodated for in the settings by a tuner who can change the settings properly.