Support Forum

Raising idle on 2017 R1

drz440@live.co.ukdrz440@live.co.uk Posts: 51Verified User

Hi,

Im trying to raise the idle on my 2017 R1 when the engine is fully up to temp. I’ve tried adjusting the warmup/base idle table but it seems to make little to no difference at operating temperature.

I was wondering if it’s possible to alter it using the ETV mapping? And if so will I need to change the first column of Throttle position form 1 to 0 to achieve this?

I was also looking at the engine braking mapping. In the past these have seemed to not accept any changes, as I heard that engine braking is done through the ETV map from 2017 onwards. Has this changed now? As when I input different numbers into the tables it seems to accept the changes. I haven’t tried flashing onto the bike yet. Would these possibly lift the idle?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Hi,

You can definitely make that adjustment in the ETV Basemaps. You can also add some ignition to help if necessary. The limits on the ETV Decel Comp have been opened up a bit for testing. Feel free to try that section and report back if there are any issues.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• drz440@live.co.ukdrz440@live.co.uk Posts: 51Verified User

Hi Jason,

That’s brilliant, thank you. I’ll give the Decel comp a go, I’m really pleased that’s open now.

To adjust idle with the ETV maps, will I need to change the column to zero?

I have made some changes to the ignition map to help raise the idle, which worked to a point, but there seems to be a ceiling to how far it will work.

Thanks again

Hi,

You can leave the scaling the same but just raise the value to 1-3 I'd think would be suffice.

Thanks,

Jason A.

That’s excellent, I’ll try that. Thanks again Jason.

Hi jason

I trued raising the first few cells in the etv to up the idle, but they won’t go above 1.01. Is there any way to unlock those?

Thanks

Hi,

Try now it should allow you to enter up to 4.02

Thanks,

Jason A.

Thank you Jason, I’ll give it a try.

Hi Jason

Thanks for unlocking those cells, I’ve been able to make changes to power mode 1, but it seems the cells in power modes 2-4 are still locked to 1.01. Are you able to unlock those too?

Thanks again for all your help. I’ll try the flash later today and report back results in power 1.

Hi,

Yes I only changed power mode 1. Please report back results.

Thanks,

Jason A.

Hi Jason,

So I’ve done some testing. The idle didn’t change at all, no matter how high I input the number. So I watched the live data whilst running the bike.

With the cells set to 4% as you gently open the throttle to real world 1%, you can see it suddenly jump to 4% and then drop back down as you roll the throttle past it. You can hear the revs blip as well, so it seems it only comes into effect when you actually open the throttle to 1% unfortunately.

Is there any way to add a zero column?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

I changed the X axis scaling try again now.

Thanks,

Jason A.

Hi,

Thats brilliant, thank you Jason! I’ll try that after work today and report back again. (I’m in the UK)

Thanks again

Hi Jason,

Just tested the bike, the same result as yesterday. I’ve got a feeling that the scaling is needing to be absolute zero for it to work, just going by what I’ve seen anyway.

The bike did ride perfectly with the altered scaling, perhaps even a little smoother on throttle pick up, only by a small amount of anything though.

Is it possible to scale to zero, or will the software not allow that?

Thanks again mate.

Hi,

Ok thanks for the feedback, try now as it should go to 0.

Thanks,

Jason A.

Hi Jason

Thanks for that. I’ve just tested the bike and bizarrely it still doesn’t make any difference, even when maxed out at 3.88.

The scaling has now caused the throttle to become slightly choppy as well, when opening from closed throttle. Would it be possible to change the scaling back to original for me please?

Is there any other way of raising the idle? I may end up installing a mechanical screw type adjuster at this rate!

Thanks again for all of your help with this.

Hi,

If you manually adjust the scaling you should be able to get it back to how it was in the last file no?

Also, that is rather bizarre as that works for the bikes here. Maybe something is different on the EU bikes that has the system working differently. It's hard to say for sure without having an EU bike here.

Thanks,

Jason A.

Hi Jason

I just tried changing the scaling back, and it lets me change it but won’t save the changes. As soon as I close the ETV and open it again, the scaling has changed back to what you set it to. Could you possibly do it from your end again for me?

Its a shame the idle won’t lift though, I really thought it would with the new scaling.

Thanks again

Hi,

Ok try it again now, it should be to where you liked it before.

Thanks,

Jason A.

Hi Jason

Thats brilliant, thank you! Am I supposed to be able to change the scaling myself? I was able to on the ignition timing map when I was adjusting that.

Once I’ve had a play and developed things a bit, would it be possible to change the other power modes to the same scaling?

Thanks again for all your help with this.

Hi,

Yes you should be able to change it within certain limits but if not for some reason it will at least start on the last good value you liked.

And yes definitely I can change scaling of those to match once you test out the first power mode and let me know everything is good.

Thanks,

Jason A.

Hi

Thank you again Jason. I will update this thread soo with how things are all feeling etc. Hopefully I’ll be able to figure something out with the idle too.

cheers mate.

Hi Jason

Ive been having a tinker over the weekend and have decided that I like the standard scaling most. Would it please be possible to change it back to what it originally was? 1,2,4 etc.

Thanks again

Hi,

I have just reverted that back for you.

Thanks,

Jason A.

Brilliant, thanks for that Jason.