Support Forum

speed denstity strategy and weird map layout

hey guys,

just wanted to ask about the MAP vs RPM mapping. do you know what is the ECU strategy of calculating the mixture based on both MAP vs RPM and TPS vs RPM maps? I read somewhere that allegedly ecu switched between two maps depending on the throttle position (that it was switching from speed density to TPS past 10% of the TPS). looking at the maps it seems to me, like it's just simply combining both through out the whole range...is that the case? Or is ECU switching between two maps depending on the conditions? Also, what are the units of the fueling on those maps? it doesn't seem to be duty cycle as it goes past 100 mark in some cells.

Second thing. I noticed kind of 'anomaly' in both MAP vs RPM and throttling maps.

If you look on both 'x' axis being either MAP or TPS on those maps, you can see at the beginning the values go respectively 0 / 0.2 / 0 / 0.7 and 1.1 / 1 / 1.7

It doesn't seem to make any sense for the values to go from 0 to 0.2 and again to 0 or from 1.1 to 1 and again to 1.7

It doesn't make much difference in MAP vs RMP map because the cell values for those MAP readings are all the same. but then, what do we need double 0 readings for map? shouldn't the second '0' be something like 0.4 or 0.5?

But with the ETV map it does seem to count because the cell values for TPS at 1 are just slightly open, to get completely shut for most of the rev range for TPS at 1.1

I marked it on the screen attached. Hope you'll get what I mean.

I noticed that's the case not only on my ECU but also on other files. Is this a bug or I'm missing some purpose of it?

thanks a lot!

Comments

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Hi,

Tuning the MAP vs RPM is better for low throttle low RPM. After around say 10-15% TPS and 5,000 RPM it is better to work on your TPS vs RPM fueling tables.

The values are not scaled incorrectly actually that is how they are scaled in the raw table from the ECU. We turn the numbers into a percentage with some special formulas. If you don't like some of the numbers on the Axis's you can always change them to scale to your liking. As for the values in the tables well those are the raw values as well they don't mean anything in regards to grams of fuel etc... Just raise or lower the numbers depending on your desired result.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• rosshamilton@telstra.comrosshamilton@telstra.com Posts: 2Verified User

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I know that other bikes which have open source tuning software (for example KTMs or Triumphs) they have an option of adjusting how and when is the switch between MAP and TPS maps. Is it something you guys could also be able to do? Are you able to extract the exact strategy and values depending on which the ECU switches between the MAP and TPS maps? It would be good to know where exactly is the switch point and whether the ECU bases on one map at a time only, or is there some range in which it mixes the two?

And another thing software related. In Device menu there are buttons for Diagnostics and View Data but they are greyed out. Is it something that is not available for MT/FJ 09 or is there some way of accessing those?

Thanks!