Support Forum

Need help changing idle rpm 2017 r1

joe02151@gmail.comjoe02151@gmail.com Posts: 6Verified User

I have a 2017 r1 with auto tune and a flash I bought from a reputable source, recently the idle rpm dips to below 1000 at a light and stalls occasionally. No matter if the bike is warm or cold. I’ve tried adjusting the idle map in the 157 degree column but that did nothing. The bike has 3/4 Akrapovic with a stock air filter

Comments

• Navidtourian@hotmail.comNavidtourian@hotmail.com Posts: 28Verified User

Hi.

In case this might be helpful.... I have had the exact same issue with my 2016 R1 (same setup except the Akro brand) and couldn't figure out the rough idle, occasional stall.. even tried what you are trying to do and didn't solve the problem....long story short....it was a Carbon build up around throttle butterfly valve. After cleaning and replacing spark plugs that fixed the problem.

Thought your R1 might have the same issue!!

Do you happen to have K&N air filter on your R1?

• joe02151@gmail.comjoe02151@gmail.com Posts: 6Verified User

I’ll give that a try, I have an oem air filter

any other thoughts on this?

Never mind I was able change it via the ECT VS IDLE speed after all, I just changed every column on the table to 19, it idles at 1500 rpm now!

ok, turns out the ECT vs IDLE speed didnt work, the day i tested it was very cold outside. I tried today adjusting all of the MAPvsRPM maps, adding fuel in the boxes in the 1200-1400 rpm range. I also did the same for TPSvsRPM maps as well as the ETV base maps, it made no difference to my idle speed. I ended up reverting it all back to where I had it and went to my sensor calibration table and added 1 volt to every box and It hasnt stalled at all after a 30 min ride. It's still not where I want it but Im done messing with it for today. If anyone has any ideas that would be great

The solution I gave you should work 99.9% since it did solve the same issue you are having on my R1100%.

Should yoy decide to give it a try, change all those value that you changes to unrestricted default.

The problem is sort of mechanical not ECU related.

Hope this helps.

For more info you can email me ?

I’ll give it a try this weekend, I’ve been talking to a guy who flashes ecus and he’s also telling me to bump up the ignition advance in the 1 and 2 maps. I’m out of town till Friday so I’ll see how it goes

I have tried the ignition timing and many other tuning to the ECU and after I saw no help I decided to check everyhting one by one (engine and ignition component) then half way I noticed the fine carbon build up around the butterfly valve....I knew then the butterfly was sticky and wont close/open properly and caused the rough idle and stall.... cleaned it very well and changed spark plug since I knew they would get kind of dirt during butterfly valve and throttle body cleaning. The problem with aggressive fuel and ignition timing adjustment at idle is that it could damage the engine ( excessive heat) not to mention we are dealing with the engine that has crossplane crankshaft in it.

• octavio@ftecu.comoctavio@ftecu.com Posts: 191Staff User

Hi,

Glad you were able to resolve this issue.

Carbon buildup is a very common culprit when it comes to poor idle and also may cause idle surging.

Regards