Support Forum

Yamaha can't connect to my ECU

davemusaphia@btinternet.comdavemusaphia@btinternet.com Posts: 38Verified User

At my last service the dealer couldn't connect to my ECU. There is now a software update needed for the data logger on my R1M.

I'm screwed aren't I.

Comments

• kento_ftecukento_ftecu Posts: 776Staff User

You can save any files you need, then just have the dealer reset the ECU to OEM stock form, then have them flash the update. Then you can go back and flash the ECU as if it was a brand new ECU.

• Thank you.

They can do that even through they could not connect to it on the last attempt?

They should have a reset flash file as far as I know.

• davemusaphia@btinternet.comdavemusaphia@btinternet.com Posts: 38Verified User

Would my licence still work after this?

Yes, but it will be like you are flashing an ECU for the first time.

Just hope they allow me on to their wi-fi then. Don't fancy doing a flash over 4G or riding home with all those error codes! 😂

Yamaha cannot reset my ecu as their software is locked out.

All research I have done points to having to send it to you to be unlocked.

Any comment?

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Hi,

We are unable to take any ECU's in to be "unlocked". Are they able to connect and read any codes from the bike? If they are able to do that they should be able to do anything else to it. An ECU flash has nothing to do with the Yamaha CCU. Are they connecting to the CCU itself to update it?

Thanks,

Jason A.

When Yamaha last had the bike they said they were unable to connect at all. The bike would not even run whilst they were plugged in.

Interesting thought on the CCU. Nobody has cosidered if i just that that requires the update. Even Yamaha Technical when we discussed it.

I'll look in to that. Thanks.

Yamaha have confirmed that if they cannot to the ECU then they cannot install the update.

Please advise.

?

Hi,

Well it looks like if they cannot connect to it for whatever reason then they will be unable to update it. There wouldn't be anything we can do here to update it for you. Usually the dealer can still connect to the ECU once flashed. Seems strange the CCU update goes through the ECU instead of direct to the CCU but I don't work at Yamaha.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• A thought.

I have a bike side harness. Fitting that involves moving the read write pin!

That might cause it.....

Hi,

On the R1 bike side harness you should only have to remove the black wire which gets jumped anyways as a ground input. So that would have no real impact on anything as it's still connected inline with the circuit.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• If this is a European (non USA) bike then try flashing back to the stock file.

We have seen some of the derestricted files stop dealer access with their tools but the stock files then allow access.

For this reason we often will start flashing customer ECU's with the stock file with the derestricted settings copied over.

Mike @ www.Veloxracing.com