Support Forum

Unrestricted vs Stock ECU Flash (Power Commander Installed)

thoulihan33@gmail.comthoulihan33@gmail.com Posts: 1Verified User

I have a 19 R1 that I just installed AR Exhaust and Power Commander. Little did I know that when I installed the two, there would be a fault causing me to be locked out of my settings and killing my bottom end. I installed the exhaust and uploaded the correct map on the PCV. Started it up ran great for about 5-10 min then threw a fault (likely something to do with the Exhaust servo being removed. I have had the Graves Exup eliminator installed for a few weeks without issue). I have a code reader and adapter ordered, to confirm the actual fault. After a ton of stressing out and searching the internet and circle of riders for answers I arrived at the conclusion that it needs to be flashed. My question is what map should i upload. I still have the power commander installed. Unrestricted sounds great, but I am not sure if it makes changes to the fuel map. ECU and PCV both independantly adjusting Air/Fuel sounds like a bad time. What would the best move be for my 19 with AR Exhaust (Flash and PCV, Remove PCV and just flash, Unrestricted Flash +PCV, Stock Flash +PCV).

Does the unrestricted map make changes to the fuel map or is it simply eliminating faults, top speed limiter, etc?

Can I flash the unrestricted and continue to use my PCV mapped with my current exhaust setup?

I have the bench flash kit on the way, so I need to get this sorted out ASAP. I appreciate the help on this.

Comments

• kento_ftecukento_ftecu Posts: 776Staff User

You can import your PCV map into the PCV Import feature in either the R1 stock or unrestricted files, and have access to a host of previously inaccessible features. To tell you truth though, any PCV map is a band-aid measure at best, because the PCV can only access the TPS vs RPM maps. The PCV cannot access the MAP (manifold atmospheric pressure) x RPM maps inside an ECU that are the real tuning feature.

There is no sense running the two together because your ECU can run the PCV map.

The ECU will make some minor changes to mapping just like a PCV would, but it should be noted that any system with the stock O2 sensor will only make changes to slight throttle openings and lower rpm. Once it gets past that point, the fueling reverts to set parameters because the narrow-band sensor can only tell the ECU that the mixture is rich or lean-- it can't tell it by how much.