Support Forum

Comments

• engjay@shaw.caengjay@shaw.ca Posts: 11Verified User

Just got my bike side flashing kit. Trying to access this post gives me "There was an error rendering this rich post". Same thing on many other threads. Thanks.

Neil

• kento_ftecukento_ftecu Posts: 776Staff User

What is your question?

I guess I misunderstood this thread. I was expecting a 'get started' kind of thing and when I saw the error, I thought there was a problem with the thread. Probably have some questions after I give it go. Thanks for the response.

Got things set up and ended up writing 2SC8591A-70(US) into the ECU. My bike is 2016 FJ09 Canadian model. All stock. Didn't see any selections for that year in particular. Writing went ok. Bike runs albeit with a CEL and starts in B mode. Read the thread about the proper year and file too late. Before I do anything else can you give me direction on how to proceed? Thank you.

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Hi,

What is your exact ECU part number?

Thanks,

Jason A.

Hi, sorry for the delay. Part number is 2SC-8591A-21.

Hi Neil,

Please flash in the 2015 FJ09 (US) file with the part number that matches your ECU number exactly (2SC-8591A-21) and you should be good to go.

Thanks,

Kent

Wasn't able to flash as I received a license restriction.

Are we able to reset my license?

edited July 2019

Your license doesn't show any restriction on our end. Reset is not necessary.

What error message are you getting?

'No licenses available for this model. Would you like to purchase a new license for the ecu?

edited July 2019

The reason is because you flashed the wrong file into the ECU, so now it thinks you're trying to flash another wrong file.

We changed the preferences on your license (not a reset). See if it works now-- Remember to flash the correct part number...thanks.

Thanks. It will be a few days before I get a chance. I'll let you know what happens.

Hi,

I received the an error that wouldn't let me flash. Next?

edited August 2019

Your license is in virgin state, so there is an issue with your steps in the flash process, or a hardware issue.

You must follow the prompts carefully. When the prompt for "power off" pops up, you turn the key off (with bike side), then click OK; do not click OK and turn power off, because the ECU is not ready. Same for the "power on" prompt; you must wait for the prompt to appear, then turn key on, then click OK. Attempting to shortcut the process leads to errors because the ECU needs to be in the proper mode in order to be written.

Please use the diagnostics software by clicking on Help> Test interface. With the key off, you should see the number in parentheses be either 0, 10, 20, or 30. #1 is the red wire, #2 is orange, #4 is yellow, and GND is black. If you get a two-digit number, the second digit indicates the bad wire connection. Example: 36 6=2(orange) +4 (yellow). A single digit will point out the bad wire.

With the key on, you should see 6, 16, 26, or 36. If you get 1, 3, 5, or 7, you have an issue with the red wire. 2 indicates a bad Orange wire connection, 4 indicates a bad Yellow wire. 0 indicates a bad power supply to ECU; check power and common ground.

You should also test your harness. Take off the cover (the piece that looks like six cylinders tied together) and use a piece of safety wire or multimeter leads, and jumper the red and orange wires; if the fuel pump starts priming, then you have an issue with the orange wire. Then jumper the red and yellow wires; same thing, if the fuel pump comes on, then you have a bad yellow wire connection. If nothing happens, then do a voltage check with the same two combinations; both should read around 5V and be fairly consistent with each other. If one is reading low, then there is a problem with that wire (orange or yellow).

I was very careful to follow the prompts and went with key on or key off before clicking on OK. I'm confident I did it correctly. The diagnostics tab is not enabled so I am unable to run it. Under the help tab, I ran the test interface. Key off - 30. Key on - 36. I also checked the harness with the jumper and the fuel pump did not run in either combination. Voltage was 5.08 v on both combinations. When attempting to write the first message that appears is enclosed. Next steps?

Next steps?

You click yes, because you're assigning your license to the ECU.

Success! The only thing I did differently was update my email through the FT suite. Upon closing a message came up regarding saving a modified file. Why is that asked? I clicked yes. Can you give me a bit of info on the unrestricted file and if I would be able to install it? Thank you.

If you changed anything on the file you flashed into the ECU, it will ask if you want to save it into your software. So now whenever you open the tuning suite, it will be there on the file menu on the left.

The unrestricted file usually has some changes that will improve performance as well as be a base setting for minor bolt-on mods, and many of the various modules are preset for those mods.

As long as the file number matches your ECU part number, you shouldn't have any problems.

• nullscan@gmail.comnullscan@gmail.com Posts: 6Verified User

I'm having a hell of a time getting the red/yellow/orange pins all the way inserted on my MT-10. I push until the wire bends and it doesn't make enough of a connection for the software to talk to the ECU.

Looking into the connector I see all the factory pins shining with a flashlight, but not the 3 new ones.

Any tips or tools anyone can suggest?

Are you inserting the pins with the crimp side facing up toward the locking tab of the ECU connector?

Please post some photos of the pins if you can.

edited March 2021

I am, the yellow and orange will snug in but are pretty easily pulled back. Red is loose but I think just because of the angle and the other wires I can't push it in as far. I know there are plastic pin inserters from making serial cables in the past, but finding one of those laying around is not as common as it was.

At work at the moment though and Korean time zone so you guys may be asleep when I get the photos.

edited March 2021

Reading instructions is fundamental, I didn't notice that both connectors to my ECU had white 'unlocking' tabs for the pins, and sure enough I had missed that part of the installation.

Yes, reading instructions IS fundamental to a successful installation. 😉

• desjardin149@gmail.comdesjardin149@gmail.com Posts: 6Verified User

Question? I just got finished installing the harness and when I went to write to the ecu it came up with write attempt failed No response so I ran the interface test and with power off I got 21 & 31 then when i turned key on it came up with 25& 35. Now when i play with the data cable the numbers jump around with 4, 25, 35. i changed the dongle to the laptop and also the port i was using on the laptop and it came up with the exact same numbers. now im not moving any wires in the harness so could the data cable be bad?

2006 BMW K1200S

2019 ZX-6R

Hi,

That is your bike side harness that is not wired correctly.

Correct numbers are 0,10,20,30 with key off and 6,16,26,36 with key on.

According to your numbers it looks like you are having an issue with the red wire of the bike side harness. Please go back over your installation. You want to be sure the pins are fully seated, in the correct position, and the pins are in the correct orientation.

Thanks,

Jason A.

edited August 2021

I have flashed in the stock map and then today I tried to flaSH THE UNRESTRICTED FILE AND IT SAYS THAT THE ECU IS NOT REWGISTERED AND ASKED IF I WANT TO BUY ANOTHER LICENSE. Hell no i don't want to buy another one because my cable and laptop have never been connected to anything but this bike. Ive been trying for two days thinking it is some thing on my end . Please Help[

2006 BMW K1200S

2019 ZX-6R

Hi,

This very well could be something on your end it looks like. The license is still in a confirmed state so it should still recognize the flashed ECU. The only reason it wouldn't was if it was a new ECU, or if there was a hardware connection issue. Do a test of the bike side harness again and let's see what numbers are coming up.

Thanks,

Jason A.

I'm attempting to do the hardware test and it is saying that there is an unrecognized usb device. Now since I last fashed ad read the ecu I have removed my PC V and auto tuner from the bike that should not have made a difference would it

2006 BMW K1200S

2019 ZX-6R

well now I'm back to the 6, 16, 36 on the Hardware test so im going to pull harness and redo the plug wires i guess and then see where it goes

2006 BMW K1200S

2019 ZX-6R