Support Forum

Gearing adjustment/CEL elimination request

rkturbo7@gmail.comrkturbo7@gmail.com Posts: 3Verified User
edited July 2019 in EX 400

It seems common to get a CEL (p0915 on mine, may also include p0914, p0916, p0917) when switching sprockets, even as much at +1 on the front, which is what I am experiencing. Is this something that can possibly be adjusted/disabled to eliminate throwing the error code? I believe I saw other bikes were capable of adjusting the ratios, but I don't recall which ones. Thanks!!

Comments

• kento_ftecukento_ftecu Posts: 776Staff User
    edited July 2019

Unfortunately that is a problem with that particular model that is a Kawasaki issue, nothing we can do about at the moment. Changing the sprockets throws off the speedometer, which would indicate that it uses a sprocket sensor in addition to a rear wheel speed sensor. Nearly all latest models use just the rear wheel speed sensors for speedometer reading.

• rkturbo7@gmail.comrkturbo7@gmail.com Posts: 3Verified User
    edited July 2019

Thank you for your reply! I've scoured the bike and service manual wiring diagram for any other sensor that would be involved in detecting the rotation of the sprocket and have come up completely empty handed. My guess at this point is somewhere it is comparing the RPM to the rear wheel speed sensor, and throwing the code because of a mismatch between RPM and speed based on what gear it's in over some period of time. It just "assumes" the gear position sensor is the problem. I think outside of flashing there isn't much hope to make this go away. I very much appreciate the work you guys have put into all of software! Thanks again!