Support Forum

2018 R1 Unrestricted map ignition timings ?

cjsavage@gmail.comcjsavage@gmail.com Posts: 7Verified User

Looking at the ignition advance maps for the 2018 R1, I noticed that the unrestricted maps seem to be significantly different than they were in previous years.

Whereas the 2015-2017 maps seems to have the same stock ignition maps as the 2018 and the unrestricted maps seem to advance timing at high rpm/throttle while retarding it at high rpm/low throttle, the 2018 maps advance the timing both at high rpm/throttle and at high rpm/low throttle, with even more advance towards the high rpm/low throttle side of the map.

Is this correct for the 2018 R1?

Looking at the unrestricted maps for other similar bikes like the MT10, the pattern of advancing at higher rpm/throttle and retarding at higher rpm/lower throttle seems to be fairly consistent, but for the 2018 it seems like it's being advanced all the time.

I realize every bike and year can be a bit different, but this seems like an anomaly for the 2018 map (almost as if the increase in timing on the lower left of the map should actually be a decrease.

It's quite possible that I'm missing something, but before I switch over to the unrestricted map (I have a hindle 3/4 exhaust now and have been running the stock map with adjustments from a pcv map, but find it a bit jerky with the stock mapping still) I wanted to be sure that this is the way the map is intended to be.

Comments