Support Forum

Understanding ActiveTune Trims INGL vs INST

chrisgardellchrisgardell Posts: 45Staff User

Typically, when running in live correction mode, ActiveTune uses a blend of two correction methods to achieve the desired air fuel ratio.

INST ( instant correction ) this correction is the mathematical result of known air mass and known AFR. It assumes complete combustion and under perfect circumstances would be able to work all on it's own to achieve the desired target. This correction method introduces very little error but can't overcome inefficiencies in combustion which lead to missed target values for long periods of time.

INGL ( integral correction ) this correction acts relatively slowly to take up the slack when the instant correction alone is not able to hit the target. This correction is always changing by 1% per period determined by the AF delay map (ms). If the measured ratio is too lean it will increase by one and conversely if the measured value is too rich it will decrease by one. Because this correction is not relative to RPM or throttle it can introduce error when either is changed rapidly and therefore isn't always best to be used while dyno tuning.

TOT ( total correction ) this is simply the result of INST plus INGL clamped to within the total correction limit. This is the value that is actually applied to the current fuel mass when operating in live correction mode.

Tagged:

Comments

• T.REINDERS@MCHSI.COMT.REINDERS@MCHSI.COM Posts: 2Verified User

I purchased the standard flash kit for my 2017 FZ10 (using the unrestricted mode), it is basically stock with a Yoshimura slip on. The additional power is much appreciated, but I am thinking about getting the active tuning kit now. My question is, how much additional power can be expected with the active tuning software? I'm sure the bike would be more efficient, however, I'm more interested in performance. If it doesn't add much, are there other modifications that the active tuning would enhance (above and beyond performance gains from new hardware)?

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 91Staff User

Hi,

Performance gains vary per bike and it depends on how close to perfect you are with your base file currently. Active Tune will keep your bike in the set AFR range for your whole ride. This makes sure you get every little last bit of performance you can out of the bike no matter altitude and weather conditions. It is utilized by all of our pro racers and teams for that very reason.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• T.REINDERS@MCHSI.COMT.REINDERS@MCHSI.COM Posts: 2Verified User

Jason, thanks for the feedback. I understand how it can tune more precisely with the new O2 sensor, but is that basically about the only difference, more precision sensor = tighter upstream control? My system should still be making similar adjustments from the existing O2 sensor, the MAP sensor, etc.

Or is there some fundamental control algorithm differences?

Thanks,

Todd R

• kento_ftecukento_ftecu Posts: 460Staff User

The stock O2 sensor is incapable of assisting the ECU in making fueling changes anywhere past very small throttle settings and very low rpm cruising speeds because it can only tell the ECU that the mixture is lean or rich, not by how much. Anywhere past those settings and the stock system reverts to the stock TPS and MAP maps.

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 91Staff User

Todd,

In addition to Kento's response I'd like to add a few things.

The stock O2 sensor does communicate to the ECU just like ours does. However, our O2 sensor is a wideband and our sensor then plugs into our LAMBDA controller, then to the ECU. In addition to the small operating range the stock system has, it will make minor adjustments for emissions control, not for performance gains. There is no way the stock system could possibly see any precise and accurate AFR readings and be able to adjust them quickly enough on the fly without a LAMBDA controller. Our software algorithms will be totally different due to the difference in hardware and complexity of software.

Thanks,

Jason A.