Support Forum

When does "Closed Loop" Actually kick in? And fuel map switching

ndwolfy@gmail.comndwolfy@gmail.com Posts: 11Verified User

So I know when the "ECO" light comes up on the dash it doesnt actually mean much in the way of it going into a closed loop tune or anything. But thats left me with the question of when does the closed loop tune kick in? And if theres a map at all that it goes off or does it just do what most vehicles do and go for stoichiometric .

Which brings me to my other question, when does it switch between the TPS fuel map vs the MAP fuel map?

Comments

• chrisgardellchrisgardell Posts: 48Staff User

1) ECO indicator really means nothing except you are in a region of a TPS vs RPM map that reads '1' instead of '0'... its really just a gimmick.

2) Stock O2 feedback similarly has many range maps making sure that temperature, TPS, Manifold pressure, and sometimes speed are in a valid range for O2 feedback to be used. (newer bikes tend to use it more and with higher gains)

3) Generally under 20% throttle you are using a mix of TPS and MAP fuel table results. If you are closer to closed thottle you will bias more towards the MAP result or if you are closer to ~20% you will be using a result more biased to the TPS result. this is needed because say 5% throttle means something very different if you are say going up or down hill.

• ndwolfy@gmail.comndwolfy@gmail.com Posts: 11Verified User

Ahhh okay thats actually quite helpful! looks like ive been trying to adjust the MAP fuel map all wrong! Ive basically only been adjusting it thinking it takes over more when at idle and crusing when thats only partially true. Thank you!

Could you expand on the second part of your response though as I still dont quite get it? I know with the MT-07 and XSR700 the O2 sensor doesnt really do much. And infact Ive had it completely disconnected for a few rides once and not even had an engine light come up for it. And is why I ask the question of when closed loop kicks in, if that even actually happens for this bike seeing as it has no problems with it not being there. Simillarliy say I were to replace it with a wideband sensor so I can run my own AFR read outs and data logs. Would it even do anything?