Support Forum

2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ECU Options

mikehbr@yahoo.commikehbr@yahoo.com Posts: 4Verified User

The Kawaski Ninja 650 is a very popular motorcycle. I was VERY disappointed at what options was available for the ECU module (and the number of ECU model numbers available). The Ninja 400 has more options than the 650 does. I am particularly interested in removing error codes from AIS back-off plate addition. I am also interested in fixing throttle off/engine braking that is highly annoying.

My question is if there is anymore research/updates/releases to the Ninja 650 (Especially the 2019 model year). At this point, I am seriously considering switching to the Woolich ECU Flash due to the options available on their website.

Respectfully,

Mike

Comments

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Hi,

The Ninja 650 never had as ton of developement put into it because of the lack of demand from our customers.

I see there's no option in the file but if your remove the AIS from the bike does it actually still throw the code for it? Be sure to flash with the Unrestricted file please.

For engine braking it's a bit more difficult with the bike not being throttle by wire. Engine braking is always adjusted by how quickly the throttle bodies (TPS) closes in relation to your APS.

I'm not sure we will do any more development at the moment for this bike to be honest. However, I can try to help you the best I can here.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• mikehbr@yahoo.commikehbr@yahoo.com Posts: 4Verified User

Sorry for the late reply. Yes is still shows engine code. I know there is a way to disengage the code, but digging into the bike just o put a resistor on the connector... lets just say I will do it when I need to replace pugs and filter. A lot of digging involved just for a light.

As far as throttle breaking.. this was the primary reason for flashing. I know that flashing is a minimal upgrade.. Always did. But was hoping that FTECU was more robust in this area. I either go with another company or add a throttle lock/cruise control kit. Just a little disappointed with FTECU in this area. I will dyno bike in Aug of this year. Maybe they have a good TPS map. I am not experienced enough to play with numbers (and not get caught in a life/death situation with throttle control.).

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Hi,

Yes the resistor method is your best way at the moment.

You can adjust the engine braking a little bit using the STP values but it just isn't quite as effective as a throttle by wire bike would be. That being said it does still work and I'm sure it will be plenty ok for your application.

Thanks,

Jason A.