Support Forum

MT-07 tuneabillity

randommen96shop@gmail.comrandommen96shop@gmail.com Posts: 30Verified User
edited August 2019 in FZ / MT 07

Hi!

I am using FTECU for some time now, and have a couple of questions :-).

Can you please tell me the differences between the unrestricted map and the stock map for the MT-07 2016 with ECU: 1XB-8591A-40?

In what set-up (exhaust/airfilter) should the unrestricted map be used? Can it be used with stock exhaust and air filter? , i read that the unrestricted MT-07 maps are malfunctioning, is this true? (Wrong ignition and stuff.)

Should I use the stock or unrestricted maps and apply pcv maps to that?

Is it possible to get launch control on the ECU?

What are the best kill times for the QS? (Is it safe to QuickShift from 1-N-2?

I noticed that for 2018 ECU's, there is an Diagnostic code manager available, can we get this too with:

1XB-8591A-40 ?

Why isn't it possible to "live read" the ECU for example when using an test bench? Can we get this feature?

Why does the PC fuel import not also import the ignition tables? Is it possible to get such a feature?

When i adjust my fan temps for example to 91-95, it only kicks on at 101, is this normal? Any way to work around this?

I noticed that the activetune sensor is 18mm while the standard oxygen sensor is 12mm, is an adapter available? (as my exhaust only supports 12mm.) Also, do you recommend activetune for daily commuting...? Or is it just for that little bit of extra performance (needed on the circuit). I've read those sensors can die from too much fuel, is there any guarantee or advise?

My bike setup is as following:

DNA Stage 1 + 2

Mivv GP Black with Catalytic converter + DB killer

(Soon to arrive: FTecu Quickshifter :D (any instructions available for the type 7 harness btw? Can't find any.)

I know this are a lot of questions, but answers would be very useful :D, many thanks in advance, and i love the products!

Kind regards,

David

Comments

• randommen96shop@gmail.comrandommen96shop@gmail.com Posts: 30Verified User

One other small question:

does the Quickshifter cut ignition, fuel, or both? Is it possible to choose?

• kento_ftecukento_ftecu Posts: 776Staff User

You "have a couple of questions"?? 😂

"Can you please tell me the differences between the unrestricted map and the stock map for the MT-07 2016 with ECU: 1XB-8591A-40?"

You can find the answer to that by right-clicking on a file, and then right-clicking on one file for the "Compare 1" set, and clicking on the other file for "Compare 2".

"In what set-up (exhaust/airfilter) should the unrestricted map be used? Can it be used with stock exhaust and air filter?"

We recommend using the stock file with the stock exhaust and air filter.

"i read that the unrestricted MT-07 maps are malfunctioning, is this true? (Wrong ignition and stuff.)"

Not sure where that's coming from. We haven't heard of any issues, other than problems caused by people trying to flash the wrong files into their ECU (not matching part numbers).

"Should I use the stock or unrestricted maps and apply pcv maps to that?"

If your bike is mostly stock, use that file.

"Is it possible to get launch control on the ECU?"

Unfortunately no, not with the MT-07.

"What are the best kill times for the QS? (Is it safe to QuickShift from 1-N-2?"

That is a personal preference based upon your riding. We'd use the provided settings and then adjust as necessary. It is safe to QS from 1st to 2nd gear, although probably best to make sure that the rpm is relatively high to avoid undue shock on the gears and drivetrain.

"I noticed that for 2018 ECU's, there is an Diagnostic code manager available, can we get this too with 1XB-8591A-40?"

The diagnostic code manager is only made possible by OBDII compliance, which the 2018 MT-07s are. The earlier models are not, unfortunately, so that feature cannot be added.

"Why isn't it possible to "live read" the ECU for example when using an test bench? Can we get this feature?"

If you're talking about live data while on the dyno, that entirely depends on the software provided in each ECU by the manufacturer. Some bikes (like Yamaha's MT-10 and R1, for example) have that software embedded, which is why it's available on those bikes.

"Why does the PC fuel import not also import the ignition tables? Is it possible to get such a feature?"

We don't support the PCV ignition tables because piggyback fueling devices have long been surpassed by ECU flashing's abilities and features. We offer the PC fuel map import feature as a convenience for those users who want to keep a baseline; but because, for example, the PCV only accesses the TPS maps and not the MAP tables, it's a very coarse adjustment that is far from optimum.

When i adjust my fan temps for example to 91-95, it only kicks on at 101, is this normal? Any way to work around this?

You can adjust the fan temps lower. The numbers are calculated from the OEM data based on voltage, so they can sometimes be slightly off.

"I noticed that the activetune sensor is 18mm while the standard oxygen sensor is 12mm, is an adapter available? (as my exhaust only supports 12mm.) Also, do you recommend activetune for daily commuting...? Or is it just for that little bit of extra performance (needed on the circuit). I've read those sensors can die from too much fuel, is there any guarantee or advise?"

You cannot use an ActiveTune setup with a catalytic converter because it affects the sensor readings. Active Tune is fine for daily commuting, although the wideband sensors have a finite life span. And yes, if you're running too rich, it can reduce the lifespan greatly.

(Soon to arrive: FTecu Quickshifter :D (any instructions available for the type 7 harness btw? Can't find any.)

As long as you have the Type 9 bike-side harness (which as the site says is required for installation of the QS on the MT-07), the installation is basically plug the sensor leads into the QS harness, and then plug in the ECU side into the bike-side harness plug. And you're done.

Now if you don't mind, I'd like to give my fingers a rest.🤣

Usually both, but it depends on the bike. There is no option to choose.

Hi Kent,

Thank you very much for your answers on my couple of questions :D, I hope your fingers are rested 🤣

I found the "issues" with the unrestricted map here as mentioned by user Catfish:

Would you recommend the unrestricted map for daily street riding/commuting?

Right now i'm using the stock map + PCV map (which comes closest to my setup, and i've been told that we should not be using PCV maps + unrestricted map.) I also noticed that the PCV map even leans out the stock mapping at some points.

Is there an changelog available for QS v1.0 to QS v1.1? Or what is the difference between both?

If it is not possible to get live readings trough FTecu, how would you recommend letting an tuner create a mapping for me or do it myself without an dyno or activetune?

Is it correct that ECO mode is not tuneable and still runs "lean" or is this where the MAP vs RPM maps come in?

And my last two questions: 😋

• What was the set-up of the FZ07/MT07 on which the unrestricted map was created? Which airfilter and exhaust were used? DBkiller on or off? catalytic on or off?
    • Can I run the unrestricted map with the following bike setup and should I make any additional changes (PCV map import?) to the unrestricted map if my bike uses the following setup?:

DNA stage 1 air filter + stage 2 door

Mivv GP exhaust with DB killer and without catalytic

AND / OR

DNA stage 1 air filter + stage 2 door

Mivv GP exhaust with DB killer and with catalytic

Kind regards,

David

Oh and Mike told me from Veloxracing that the QS on the MT-07 cuts ignition, which would be nice because that would mean shooting flames 🤪

"I found the "issues" with the unrestricted map here as mentioned by user Catfish"

I can't comment on his reported issues because there's a lot of unknowns and questionable choices there, and I have no knowledge of pinging or other issues with our files on MT-07s.

"Would you recommend the unrestricted map for daily street riding/commuting?"

Depends entirely on the situation.

"Is there an changelog available for QS v1.0 to QS v1.1? Or what is the difference between both?"

Changelog can be viewed on the Tuning Suite.

"If it is not possible to get live readings trough FTecu, how would you recommend letting an tuner create a mapping for me or do it myself without an dyno or activetune?"

You need some way to datalog your AFRs, because you obviously can't be staring at any tables or numbers while you're riding. That's why a dyno or Active Tune is recommended for any type of tuning optimization.

"Is it correct that ECO mode is not tuneable and still runs "lean" or is this where the MAP vs RPM maps come in?"

That I don't know the answer to, I'll have to get back to you on that.

"What was the set-up of the FZ07/MT07 on which the unrestricted map was created? Which airfilter and exhaust were used? DBkiller on or off? catalytic on or off?"

I don't know the answer to that one either, will find out and get back to you.

"Can I run the unrestricted map with the following bike setup and should I make any additional changes (PCV map import?) to the unrestricted map if my bike uses the following setup?"

You should just try it and see how it works, because if it doesn't, you can always go back to stock very easily. Every bike/rider is different, what works for one won't undeniably work the exact same way for another.

Hi Kent,

Thanks again!

"Changelog can be viewed on the Tuning Suite."

I can't seem to find it anywhere... Where exactly?

The other answers are clear, looking forward to the remaining 2 answers on the open questions :D

Kind regards,

David

Sorry, the Changelog can be viewed in the Downloads section of the website when you log in.

• noltekid@gmail.comnoltekid@gmail.com Posts: 7Verified User

Can we get the answers to these last two questions now?

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Hi,

Please tell me the quedtions you have and I will do my best in answering them for you.

Thanks,

Jason A.

"Is it correct that ECO mode is not tuneable and still runs "lean" or is this where the MAP vs RPM maps come in?"

That I don't know the answer to, I'll have to get back to you on that.

"What was the set-up of the FZ07/MT07 on which the unrestricted map was created? Which airfilter and exhaust were used? DBkiller on or off? catalytic on or off?"

I don't know the answer to that one either, will find out and get back to you.

Hi,

Eco mode is not tuneable.

Yosh Titanium full exhaust so no cat obviously, stock filter, no DB killer.

Thanks,

Jason A.

ok cool. Thank you for the information

How come actually that the FTECU tune does not support Launch control (2 step rev limiter) while Woolich Race Tools support it on the stock ECU? I'd really like to be able to have it, even if it is an paid software add-in, also able to be an test person :)

Hi,

That is something we most likely will not make available but I will mention it as a suggestion next meeting.

Thanks,

Jason A.

^^any feedback on this suggestion??

Hi,

The suggestion was made and it is in the hands of the developers on if they wish to add it or not.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• DeanosDeanos Posts: 5Verified User

Been a while since this post.

Has there been any further development on the Launch Control for the MT-07 as yet?

2015 MT-07 with SC Projects imitation and full DNA filter system.

https://www.instagram.com/deanos_rides

Dean,

No there has not been, with the current projects it doesn't look like it will be visited any time soon.

Thanks,

Jason A.