Support Forum

Can I use the exhaust valve with the unrestricted file? 2018 R1M

newsh@aol.comnewsh@aol.com Posts: 3Verified User

As above, I've gutted my cat and loaded the Unrestricted file.

The exhaust valve is not opening when i rev the engine.

I would like the valve t close as normal at low rpm so as to be quieter in town.

Is this possible?

Comments

• newsh@aol.comnewsh@aol.com Posts: 3Verified User

Some detail

I’ve got a stock catbox which I’ve gutted with the Exup in place and cables connected.

I’ve flashed the ECU with the Unrestricted file.

I had a 2CR before but I notice in this BX4 version there is no enable/disable switch for the Exup (or AIS or closed loop for that matter) just the diagnostics manager.

So the question is, will the Exup work as normal or is it unavailable in the unrestricted file? (It actually seems to be held shut at the moment, based on starting the bike and blipping the throttle, if I try opening the valve with a spanner the servomotor slams it shut).

Or will it start working if I switch the relevant codes back on?

(or perhaps I’m not revving it hard enough while sitting on the stands to open!)

What I’d like is a compromise of valve closed- nice and quiet, at low RPMs, for bimbling through the villages (and conversations with policemen which is happening more and more in UK/Europe) but derestricted when I get on the throttle. I’m particularly interested in the gains between 6-7k which I will feel most on the road.

And of course the improvements in the throttle response.

Hope this makes sense!

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Hi,

There's no ability to specifically adjust the way the EXUP works. With the Unrestricted file it would default the setting to be off and not show the codes for it if the box is unchecked. When testing this do it on a bike stand if you don't have a dyno and go through the gear range at multiple throttle points.

If you never see it open try flashing a stock file into the bike and running the same tests.

Graves Motorsports does EXUP specific tuning with their special exhausts. If you don't have one of their exhausts maybe they would sell you a file with custom EXUP tuning that would work for you.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• newsh@aol.comnewsh@aol.com Posts: 3Verified User

Ok, thanks. Using the diagnostic manager page I switched the 4 exhaust valve related codes back on in the unrestricted file and flashed the changes. I now see the Exup move when I rev the engine so it looks like it’s working.

Can I switch the AIS on and off by the same method? That is to say, checking the relevant fault codes switches it on and unchecking switches it off? Would this work with the O2s?

thanks

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Hi,

Perfect glad that worked for you.

Yes those features would work in the same way.

Thanks,

Jason A.