Support Forum

Copying/Pasting table values is causing values to change

jeff_cjeff_c Posts: 13Verified User

Steps to reproduce:

• open a map file (I have an FZ09 so I used one of them)
  • copy values from one table to another by opening up source table, highlighting cells to copy (could be all, or a subset), then open up destination table and paste (I use ETV tables, so for example B Map#1 to B Map #2)
  • compare source table to destination table, some of the copied values will not have copied correctly (for FZ09 ETV tables, usually .14 lower)

The problem looks to be during pasting, not copying. Copying cells and then pasting to Notepad or Excel shows that values are copied to Clipboard correctly. The copied values changing occurs when pasting back into a table in the FTECU software.

I know this was not a problem in the past, as it's how I've always copied table values around and had no issues before.

Note: copying/pasting entire tables by right-clicking the tables on the left pane and doing 'copy/paste' works correctly, it's only when copying/pasting highlighted cells that causes problems.

Please look into this, thanks!

Comments

• jeff_cjeff_c Posts: 13Verified User
    edited July 2020

It looks like simply the act of highlighting cells and doing a copy even causes values in the source table to change!

Example: say you have tables 1, 2, and 3 that you've compared and they're all identical. Open table 1, highlight cells (do all for best effect), do a 'copy', then open table 2 and paste the cells. If working correctly, all tables should still be identical. But in fact, what happens is that some cells in tables 1 and 2 have changed, and not even in the same way! Only table 3 has not changed. Doing a compare on all 3 shows they are now all different to each other.

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Hi,

Problem was reproducible on my end. Will look into why and get it fixed. Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• reyna.wygant@gmail.comreyna.wygant@gmail.com Posts: 4Verified User

Jason,

I noticed this issue as well when trying to transfer my throttle, fuel and ignition maps over to a different RT file. Has this been addressed in any way?

• jason@ftecu.comjason@ftecu.com Posts: 1,071Staff User

Reyna,

It has to do with the background formula offsetting the original values when copying and pasting the specific cells and the scaling allowed on the actual number itself.

For the OP their values were off by 0.14 which is something you would never be able to feel a difference in. I'm not sure if the difference is the same for you or not. If you manually set any of the numbers they should stick unless a scaling limit or rounding limit is hit.

Thanks,

Jason A.

• jeff_cjeff_c Posts: 13Verified User
    edited November 2021

@reyna.wygant@gmail.com

The issue is still happening, but for me it was only affecting specific columns in the ETV tables. I worked around it by making sure that any time I clicked on any cell in those columns, I had to retype the value I wanted because simply selecting any of those cells would cause the value to change. And had to make sure I didn't press Enter, because that would drop the selection box down to the next row in the same column, which would cause that value to change and require me to re-enter the desired value.

If you simply want to copy one table to another, copying/pasting the entire table from the list on the left side will do it without changing the values. The values only change when you open the table and select cells.

@jason@ftecu.com

True, .14 isn't all that much, but at the lower columns of the ETV table where the values are small to begin with, .14 can be a significant percentage of change.

But really it's more of the principle of the thing - simply selecting cells should not cause values to change. That's just a silly annoying bug. I mean, imagine if this happend with your Excel spreadsheets LOL

• travisray@cox.nettravisray@cox.net Posts: 2Verified User

I think this bug really ought to be revisited. There's a potential for cumulative effect, without user knowledge. Have a look at the video demonstrating what I mean.

Simply selecting a block of cells down in the small part of the throttle opening values, closing the window, and then doing it again can change values. No pressing ctrl-c / ctrl-v, just selecting. It's essentially corrupting the data.

Was wondering why my values were all over the place while trying to work out a snatchy throttle.

https://youtu.be/mwPfunaVWoU