Support Forum

Bike side wire harness installation issue

dr_1g@hotmail.comdr_1g@hotmail.com Posts: 6Verified User

I ran into an issue wiring up my bike side harness I have a 2017 ZX14R and I followed the instructions exactly as it is but one thing was different. In the instructions it said Step 9:  Remove the plastic weather seal plugs in the unused pin positions 27 and 28. Well on mine I dont know if mine is special or not but on mine on the lighter coupler pin 27 there is a weather plug but on 28 there is a wire, uh oh now what. So I continued with the intructions I removed the wire from 28 and inserted the green female wire like the instructions said for me to do. Once I had gotten everything hook up and ready to start her up I got nothing actualy I got an error KTRC was blinking the power level was blinking as well as the gear indicator was blinking now Im in panic mode but thankful I have a service manual. So I checked for errors and it gave me a code 39 which is no communication with the meter at this point Im like starting to cry because I thought that blew the resistor on the ECU and would have to buy another ECU oh $834. I consulted the manual and I went through and checked the resistance the CAN communication and it was with in spec THANK GOD sew. But oddly the CAN communication is on the black coupler pin 27 (high Gry/Blu) & 28 (low LB). So anyway I checked the battery power which was on the lighter coupler pin 41 & 54 and I had no voltage now Im like YES I just blew a fuse then I removed the battery and check the main ECU fuse and sure enough blown fuse. But on both couplers it is number 1 through 39 so both couplers I have a pin 27 & 28, could they make this any harder! I got that all straight bike is running again. Now my question is which coupler do I use or do I use a combination of both?.

Comments

• kento_ftecukento_ftecu Posts: 776Staff User

On the black coupler, are pin positions 27 and 28 open (not occupied)?

• dr_1g@hotmail.comdr_1g@hotmail.com Posts: 6Verified User

They are occupied with 27 GY/BL wire and 28 LB. Which in the manual describes as pin 27 CAN communication Line ( High) GY/BL and pin 28 CAN communication Line (LOW) LB. Now on the Gray coupler There is a weather plug in 27 and a LG wire in 28 which I am assuming is actual pin 67 which describes in the manual as External Communication Line (Immobilizer System (Equipped Models)/*KDS): LG. My Bike is not equipped with Immobilizer System I don't think. I sent you a link to my picture files in drop box were you able to access those?

edited September 2019

I was installing the 4 pin harness while the battery was connected so the was a possibility that I may have caused the fuse to blow by accidently that might have been on me. But the wiring was different on my bike than on the instructions so wanted consult with you guys to see if you new anything about this.

• kento_ftecukento_ftecu Posts: 776Staff User

The coupler pin numbers in the service manual are not the same as the numbers on the actual coupler. Both couplers are numbered 1-39.

You were in the wrong coupler. The instructions say to go to the "lighter colored coupler", which would be the tan-colored one in your photos. Remove the wire in position 28 (67 in the manual) and put a heat shrink tube over it to disable it, as that is not used. Insert the wires in that coupler as instructed.

OK Thanks

OK great I have the bike side harness installed with no errors Thanks to you. I had it wire up to the lighter one last night some how in the process I blew the ECU fuse, like I said I was installing it with the battery connected oooops my bad anyway thanks for all your help much appreciated 👍️